Sunday, March 27, 2011

Project in nature part 4

statement:
In another attempt to  bridge the gap between myself and the landscape, I  have begun to focus on the forgotten attributes within  the landscape.  A  simple weed or flower busting through the man made  façade, shows the inherent tension between man and nature.  I am creating a space and a tool to  literally and metaphorically elevate the growth to a higher standard.  Giving   the work structural references to the body and its utility, I am interested in  setting a more appropriate stage for  the discarded natural elements





This object will be placed in the ground, or rather a crack in the cement where renegade weeds grow.  This objects use is to  take the  renegade weed from the crack and give it a much more suitable home nestled in the top of this object thus presenting the weed with importance. 

In the middle of this object are voids that suggest the wearer, thus connecting the body and handling of the object with the act the object evokes







In sight for the project :


            This project shows my interest in the found object, the use of color and its applications to enhance the fictional qualities of the forms and the use of site specific installation.   The absurdity of the use of the object draws attention to the inherent problem, the  nature/ culture duality.

This piece is one of my first attempts in the use of color which I find has been resolved and works in conjunction with the forms  and not against them.   If there was more time to  work on this I think I would  embellish the  found object( twig) more, perhaps adding  extensions to its  junctures or experiments with  the use of color even more  for that part of the piece.

Annodizing  gives me the option of brilliant naturalistic  color which I could see using in my work in the future. The aluminum gives the option to have a larger mass  but keeping it still very lightweight which is something I have been struggling to find within some of my other work.



No comments:

Post a Comment